Sunday, August 10, 2008

Middle Eastern Food

When anyone mentions the Middle East these days, usually the first thing that comes to mind are the conflicts in Iraq, Israel,Lebanon, Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda.
Its unfortunate, because out of the cradle of civilization, comes some of the most amazing food you will ever eat.
I had the lucky chance to dine with a Lebanese friend and his family in Paris when I was 18. The lunch his mother prepared was beyond anything I had ever had a chance to taste before in my life. Kebobs of lamb with mint and yogurt dip. Various small plates of food set before me, each one with a different taste and texture. A few years later I had the chance to go to Syria for a fashion shoot with French Marie Claire, and I was already well versed on the cuisine from this part of the world.The small plates of food are called 'mezze' and are to be eaten with the right hand. A luch or dinner can last for hours and conversation is lively.
One of the most famous dishes is Hummus. Made with chick peas and tahini, it is full of protein and one of my favorites. I found this recipe on the internet, and it is really the best hummus I have ever tasted.

No comments: