Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Anorexia/Obesity...What's Up With Us??

When my 11 year old son was born here in Rio de Janeiro, my parents came down from Canada to help out. My parents also travelled around Brazil. One thing I vividly remember my mom saying was how impressed she was with how Brazilians took care of themselves and how fit they were. Seven years later, she came back and was in shock. She couldn't believe it. "Did they open up McDonalds at every corner? They all look like your typical fat-assed Americans!" Living here, I didn't notice the change, but when I looked again, I realized that my mom was right. Men and women were literally obese. They caught the 'bug'of obesity.
When I was growing up, out of 30 kids in my class,there was maybe one that was chubby. Nowadays, I see 10 year old boys with muffin top bellies, and girls with cellulite on their butts. Good Lord!!! Being healthily slim is a rarity these days. One is either fat, or wasting away with eating disorders.
I am no psychologist, nor do I pretend to be one, but this epidemic of obesity has its roots in various places.
1. Kids dont play outside anymore. Its all about Playstation and computers nowadays. My mother used to have to drag me into the house for lunch and dinner. I would be playing frisbee with my friends, riding my bike to my friends'house and to school. Or I walked to school!!! The only times I was picked up from school was when I had a doctor's appointment. Phys Ed at school has been cut back.

2. Fast food. Not just McDonalds(which is EVIL),but packaged processed food. Zero nutrients and high in salt and fat, never mind the unpronouncable ingredients. With two income families, mom doesnt have the time to make a healthy meal like she did when most of us were kids.

3. The Media. Actresses and celebutantes that splash the pages of the magazines. What most people don't realize is that these images have been Photoshopped, and that these actresses have personal chefs and trainers to keep them in that shape. It creates an unattainable image that causes girls (and boys) to either become so obsessed that they fall into the category of anorexia or bulimia. The other end of this is the people that can't keep up with the image dictatorship and just give up and eat everything and anything.There is no balance.One is either fat or thin.

As a parent, I strive to feed my children healthy and tasty foods. I do not ban fast food, as I believe prohibition only causes more curiosity. I made my kids watch the movie "Super Size Me", which was enough to scare them from McD's forever.

I suggest the book by Jamie Oliver called 'Jamie's Dinners'and recipes from Canadian Living. My mother fed four of us ,nutrionally rich, yet on a budget. It can be done. The idea that obesity is the major health concern today is very frightening. It will eventually strain our healthcare system to the limit.
It can be avoided.

No comments: