Friday, April 25, 2008

Wines from Chile...a surprise at every turn

As I am presently residing in Brazil, the gamut of Chilean wines is quite broad. There are lot of wines that are the same as we can find in Calgary at the Co-op Liquor Store and Superstore. Prices are the same. A bottle of PKNT Cabernet here is equivalent to about 10 dollars, in Canada one can find it for around 12 dollars. Strange when one considers that Brazil is much closer to Chile than Canada is, and that the consumer buying power is much less in Brazil than it is in Canada. Shipping costs in South America are exhorbitant, obviously.
That said, I am giving my two bits worth on Chilean wines that I have found here that are a good bang for your buck. Starting with Concha Y Toro 'Travessia' Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend. I got a few at the Mundial supermarket in Barra for 11 reais a bottle which is about 7 dollars. Smooth, rich and very drinkable, it is a great companion for filet mignon and heavier winter stews and fondues. Open and let it breathe for a bit, helps get rid of that inicial waft of alcohol and lets the wine interact with the air, giving it that smoothness that we all look for in a red wine.
The only drawback? Its a killer on my ceramic braces, it stains my elastics....Oh well, now I will be in the market for trying white wines(shudder....)

No comments: